Australian Embassy


Australian passport applications

Passport renewals by post


Adults (18 years and over)

For a renewal, you will need a passport that:

  • was issued when you were aged 16 or older
  • was issued on or after 1 January 2006
  • had, when it was issued, at least two years’ validity
  • has your current name, date of birth, place of birth and gender, and
  • has not been reported lost, stolen, or cancelled.

Children (15 years and under)

  • under the age of 16 
  • has previously held an Australian passport  

Learn more 

In-person appointments

Applications that must be lodged in person by appointment only:

  • First passports
  • Name or gender change on your passport
  • Replacement of lost/stolen passport
  • Applicants aged 16 and over applying for their first ten-year adult passport

Advice and processing times

You can lodge your renewal applications by post. All other applications have to be lodged in person. 

Please carefully read the advice under the relevant learn more button under further information.

Please allow four - six weeks to receive your new passport after successful lodgement. There can be significant delays if the photos are not accepted or documents are missing.

Please ensure that you have all the relevant documents, that your photos meet the requirements, and that you have filled in the form correctly before booking an appointment with or sending the application to us.



                                                          Further information


Outreach events

If you have a general interest in upcoming appointments for passport or notarial services in Munich, please email: [email protected] to be placed on our mailing list.

Please advise of your full name, date of birth, passport number, the service you require.

Upcoming outreach in Munich:


For more information on outreach events, click here to see our guide.

Emails requesting information on potential upcoming dates will not be answered.

Should you need the new passport urgently, please book a regular appointment in Berlin or Frankfurt.

Emergency passport

In special circumstances an Emergency passport can be issued to Australian citizens where either they cannot complete all requirements (other than identity, citizenship and entitlement) for the issue of a full validity passport or they can complete all requirements but there is an exceptional need to travel urgently.

The Emergency passport can be issued within 2-business days, contains only 4 visa pages and its validity is usually limited to a period of seven months.  A full validity passport may be applied for simultaneously, utilising the same application as the Emergency Passport. 

It is the responsibility of the holder to ensure the travel document is suitable for entry, transit and exit for any ongoing travel including visa requirements. 

If you need to travel within the next 48 hours, please contact the Australian Embassy Berlin on +49 30 88 00 88 0 (Option "2" for consular and passports) or the Australian Consulate-General in Frankfurt on +49 69 905580 0 immediately.

Passport validity

Ordinary passport (34 pages):

10 - year validity for persons aged 16 and over
5 -  year validity for children under 16 years and optional for persons aged 75 years and over

Replacement Passport (34 pages):

Only available to overseas applicants with full visa pages or minor damages but more than 2 years validity remaining on their current passport. A replacement passport will be issued with the same expiry date as the passport being replaced. 

Entry, exit and transit requirements

Some countries won't let you enter unless your passport is valid for six months after you plan to leave that country. It can apply even if you're just transiting or stopping over.

Some foreign governments and airlines apply the rule inconsistently. If you’re not sure your passport will be valid for long enough for your journey, consider getting a new passport.

Learn more


Passport FAQs

Do you have more questions? Read through our FAQs:

Learn more

If you cannot find the answer to your question, email us.

[email protected] or

[email protected] 

Original documents located overseas

If your original documents are located in another country, you can have a friend or relative present them on your behalf instead of having the originals sent to you in Germany. 

Learn more

Report a lost or stolen passport

If your passport is lost or stolen, you have to tell us. Phone us on +49 30 88 00 88 0 (Berlin) or +49 69 905580 (Frankfurt). 

You can find more information on our website here or on the passports webiste by clicking 'Learn more'.

Learn more