Welcome to the Australian Embassy, Berlin
Ambassador Philip Green and the team and the Embassy welcome your interest in Australia and our relationship with Germany, Switzerland and Liechtenstein. We are a diverse staff group of around 65 people with backgrounds in more than 12 different countries, coming from various walks of life, and working in various Embassy teams:
- The Embassy’s Consular team offers passport and consular services to Australian citizens living in or visiting Germany.
- The colleagues in the Political and Economic section work to deepen our close, cooperative and productive political and commercial links with the countries of accreditation.
- The Public Affairs team fosters the long-standing historical and cultural ties between Australia and countries of accreditation, as well as managing the embassy’s digital media engagement.
- Our Administration colleagues look after our Embassy and its staff, including HR, property management and finance.
- Our Department of Home Affairs team manage visa and citizenship functions for a range of European countries, as well as engagement activity on national security, border management and law enforcement policy.
- Our Defence team works on shared defence and security objectives and expanding cooperation with Germany, the Netherlands and Ukraine.
- The Australian Trade and Investment Commission manages trade and investment relationships between Australia and Germany, as well as Switzerland, the Netherlands and Austria. Austrade colleagues are predominantly based out of the Australian Consulate in Frankfurt, which also provides consular, passport and notarial services.
We encourage you to connect with us regarding any of the above areas, or other matters, regarding Australia. You can also learn more about Ambassador Green and his role here.
Friendly greetings from Wallstraße in Berlin,
The Australian Embassy Berlin team
Australia has a warm and significant bilateral relationship with Germany
Germany is an important and close like-minded partner for Australia. As two liberal democracies, we share a strong commitment to the rules-based international order and the multilateral system. We cooperate closely both bilaterally and multilaterally to support and sustain our shared values of democracy, freedom and the rule of law. Australia’s cooperative relationship with Switzerland and Liechtenstein is substantiated by shared economic interests and our joint engagement in promoting democracy and good global governance.
Prominent on our agenda is strengthening business connections into the European market. An ambitious and comprehensive Free Trade Agreement (FTA) between Australia and the European Union is one of our highest priorities, and we appreciate Germany’s ongoing support in ongoing FTA negotiations. Australia and Germany have just signed an important new partnership on hydrogen for a more sustainable future. There are many good things that we are already doing, there are new things on the way.
Another major priority is deepening Australia’s strong research connections with Germany, Switzerland and Liechtenstein to address global challenges. Our Australia-Germany Research Network, for example, has facilitated information-sharing and increased the strength of Australia’s research connections with Germany.
The Australian cultural landscape in Europe is thriving and expanding. Increasing the presence of Australian art, dance, theatre and musical organisations in Germany, Switzerland and Liechtenstein is a further focus for our Embassy. Please find out more about our efforts to support cultural activities here.
Please do not hesitate to contact us to find more information about our work on this website.