Australian Embassy

Notarielle Dienste

Please ensure that documents relating to the notarial services you require from the Australian Government/Embassy/Consulate, are presented in the correct form and that you provide the correct instructions for the notarial service you require. If you are unsure of the legislative requirements relating to the notarial service you require, you should seek independent legal advice.

Please note that neither the Australian Government nor the Australian Embassy Berlin/Australian Consulate-General guarantees the legal effectiveness of the notarised document or the accuracy of its content. Fees paid for notarial services are non-refundable.


Notarial services are offered in person and by appointment only at the Australian Embassy Berlin and the Consulate-General in Frankfurt. Please visit smartraveller before booking an appointment to learn about the different types of notarial services we offer and requirements before we can perform them. Please bring your valid passport or ID card and the original documents to the appointment.

Please also check under the "local suppliers" section of this page to find information on German notaries public and the notarial services they may be able to perform for you.


A-Z Directory


Australian Driver's Licence Renewals

Book an appointment in Berlin or Frankfurt

Certificate of Non-Impediment to Marriage


Local suppliers

Notarial fees

Outreach appointments

Statutory declarations


What are Notarial services?


Australian Driver's Licence Renewals

The Australian Embassy Berlin and Consulate-General Frankfurt can witness signatures and endorse photos for driver's licence renewal forms. We cannot renew the licences. Please contact the relevant road authority in Australia to obtain the necessary form for renewing your licence while residing overseas. For information on registration and licences, and a list of road authorities, please visit:



Do you provide notarial services from anywhere else in Germany?

No - unfortunately these services are only available from the Australian Embassy Berlin and the Consulate-General in Frankfurt.

The form says I can use a JP or police officer but I can't find one who is willing to do this in Germany. What can I do? 

Generally the guidance about who can witness or legalise a document is provided with the assumption you are in Australia, where police and JP's are commonly used for these services. This is not the case in Germany or once you are overseas.

I've been told I need to get this done by the Embassy or Consulate, is there someone else I can use?

Some organisations - such as your bank or a Government agency - will stipulate that you must use an Australian Embassy or High Commission if you are overseas.  We would recommend you contact the authority  requesting you get your documents legalised and ask who they will or won't accept.  Some agencies may accept a local solicitor or notary public to perform these services. For a list of notaries public, please see local suppliers.

I've been asked to get you to verify my ID, what documents do I need to bring into you?

We cannot advise you on what documents you may need to provide. If you have questions about what is required you need to seek clarification from the agency who is requesting that you have this done.

Why does this cost money when I can get it for free in Australia?  

The charges for the overseas provision of these services is set by the Consular Fees Act 1955.


Local suppliers


Often it is not necessary for a consular officer to perform the notarial service requested. We would recommend that you contact the organisation or authority requesting the document and ask for a list of suppliers who may perform the service. Australia and Germany are party to the 1961 Hague Convention Abolishing the Requirement of Legalisation for Foreign Public Documents and often a certified copy of a document or a signature witnessed by a German notary public (with an English stamp) and an apostille affixed to the document by the German authorities is sufficient.

You can find notaries public in Germany here: The search engine allows you to search for notaries public in your area. You can filter your search by location and language. We recommend contacting the notary public in advance to ensure that they have an English stamp for the certification/authentication. 

Contact your local registry office or town hall to enquire about an appointment for an apostille. 

If you are unsure of the legislative requirements relating to witnessing signatures on a particular document, you should seek independent legal advice. The Australian Embassy Berlin and the Consulate-General Frankurt cannot provide legal advice.

The Statutory Declarations Regulations 2018 (the Regulations) commenced on 18 September 2018. The Regulations now specify that a notary public (however described) appointed overseas, exercising his or her functions at that place, is able to witness a Commonwealth statutory declaration. This is in addition to the ability of notary publics appointed in Australia to witness Commonwealth statutory declarations.


Notarial Fees

The Consular Fees Act 1955 (Cth) and the Consular Fees Regulations 2018 (Cth) set out the fees charged for notarial services.

A fee is required to be charged per service performed. For example, a seperate fee will be charged for each document requiring certification. If you require the witnessing of the signatures of two seperate clients on one single document, two fees will required to be charged.


Administering an oath or receiving a declaration or affirmation



Witnessing a signature or seal on a form or declaration



Verifying and certifying a copy of a document or part of a document



Signing a document, or affixing a seal to a document or other article



Witnessing the execution of a will



Preparation and issue of an Apostille certificate



Preparation and issue of a Certificate of No Impediment to Marriage


Statutory declarations


Please complete the statutory declaration (do not sign) and have it ready for an officer to witness your signature at the Australian Embassy.For a copy of a blank statutory declaration form, please click here.



Australian Embassy Berlin and the Consulate-General Frankfurt do not provide translation services. Please visit (Bund deutscher Übersetzer) or (National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Interpreters) for a list of certified translators and interpreters.


Outreach appointments


Appointments for passport interviews and notarial services - outreach

There are currently no other outreach events scheduled. If you have a general interest in upcoming appointments in Munich, please email: [email protected] to be added to our mailing list. Please advise of your full name, date of birth, passport number, the service you require. As soon as an event is scheduled, you will be sent an email and it will  be advertised on this website. Emails requesting information on potential upcoming dates will not be answered.