Australian Embassy
Germany and Liechtenstein

Apostilles and Authentications

How to apply for an Apostille

Apostilles can be applied for in person by appointment or by registered mail (Einschreiben). You can book an appointment to have your document legalised here: Book an appointment (

If you would like to apply for an Apostille by registered mail, please send us the following documents:

-          The original document (must be an Australian Public Document)*

-          A  simple copy of your passport

-         An informal letter with the following information:

Full name of applicant:

Email address: 

Phone number: 

Return postal address:

Country legalisation is required for:


The postal address is as follows:

Consular Team Berlin

Australian Embassy Berlin

Wallstr. 76-79

10179 Berlin


On receipt of your document, we will send you a payment link by email to complete payment online.  Fees can be found here: Passport and Notarial Fees ( Apostilles will be issued within 2-3 business days once received (excl. postage) and sent back to you by registered mail.

*Please note that if you have a marriage certificate, we recommend emailing a copy to [email protected] to check in advance if the service can be provided.


What is an Authentication and/or Apostille certificate?

Some foreign authorities require DFAT to issue your document with an Apostille or an Authentication certificate. We call this "legalisation services".

Legalisation describes the process where DFAT verifies the signature, seal or stamp on an original Australian public document. When DFAT confirms the signature and/or seal on your document matches our records, we will issue the Apostille or Authentication certificate. Then you can present the document to your foreign authority.

Do I need an Authentication or an Apostille certificate?

The Apostille certificate and the Authentication certificate both serve the same purpose. The country receiving the document decides which certificate type they will accept. Each country has different requirements. DFAT staff cannot advise clients of foreign requirements.  If you need advice then you should contact the country's High Commission, Embassy and/or Consulate in Australia.

What documents will DFAT issue with an Apostille or Authentication certificate?

DFAT will issue original Australian public documents with an Authentication or Apostille. Australian public documents are issued by:

·         Australian government agencies or officials, or

·         Australian notary public lawyers.

The Apostille or Authentication certificate will verify the signature and/or seal of the officer, agency or notary public lawyer who has issued the document.

DFAT will only accept original documents. DFAT will not accept laminated, framed and damaged documents. You will need to arrange a replacement document.

Please take the time to read the below table. It describes what documents we can accept, and what additional steps you may need to take.


Type of document

Requirements and other information


Government documents



Australian birth certificates, including ceremonial certificates and extracts


Submit the original certificate issued by the state/territory Registry of Births Deaths and Marriages.


Australian marriage certificates

Submit the original certificate issued by the state/territory Registry of Births Deaths and Marriages. We cannot accept the ceremonial certificate that you get on the day of your marriage ceremony.



Australian death certificates


Submit the original certificate issued by the state/territory Registry of Births Deaths and Marriages.



Court documents (including Divorce certificates)


Submit the original documents issued by a state, territory or federal court. Click here for information about electronic documents if your original court document is electronic.


Police Criminal Record Checks or Finger Print Reports

Submit the original document issued by the Australian Federal Police or a state or territory police force.


Photocopies or certified copies of documents.


An Australian notary public lawyer needs to notarise your document. We cannot accept certification from a Justice of the Peace, pharmacist or police officer etc.


Education Documents


Primary and Secondary School documents


An authorised officer from the relevant Australian state or territory government education body needs to sign the document before we legalise it. We cannot accept documents signed by the school administration. Visit smartraveller for government education contacts.



TAFE and CIT documents


We will accept your original documents.


Australian University documents


You need to contact your University to verify your degree as a "true and accurate record" before we can legalise it. This could be available via an online portal. Visit smartraveller for information on how to verify University documents. Once verified, we can accept your documents. This includes photocopies of University documents notarised by an Australian notary public lawyer. The Authentication or Apostille will be placed directly on your degree or academic transcript.


Australian Private Schools and Colleges

An Australian notary public lawyer needs to notarise your document.


Photocopies of Australian education documents

An Australian notary public lawyer needs to notarise photocopies of documents.



If the type of document you need legalised is not listed above, please visit for more information. 

Electronic Documents

If your original document is electronic, you must provide your document in its original electronic form. DFAT can only issue an Authentication or Apostille certificate on a copy we have printed ourselves directly from the source. We will ask you to forward the email sent to you by the issuing authority or, if the original electronic document is accessible through a web portal, you will have to log on to this portal using your mobile device or the computer in our waiting area.