Australian Embassy

Passport Services


Applying for an Australian passport

Please follow the steps below to renew or apply for your Australian passport while in Germany. 

All applications must be lodged in person by appointment only.  There are no exceptions, even if you have renewed by mail in the past or if you live a long distance from our offices.  Book an appointment here. 

If there is an urgent need to travel, you may need to apply for an emergency passport instead of, or in addition to, a full validity passport. 

Step by step instructions


1. Fill out your application online at the global website and print it off:

You will need to create an account first. When you fill out your application form online, you will automatically be directed to the correct form and a list of required supporting documents will be available. 

2.  Print, sign and date your form.

Print: You may need to adjust your print settings so that the top/bottom of the pages are not cut off.

Sign: Make sure all sections are signed before your interview.  Passport staff cannot witness signatures.

Date: Signatures are valid for six months only. An application signed more than six months ago cannot be accepted. 

3.  Supporting documents and photos


Supporting documents: All documents must be original documents. We cannot accept certified copies. Please review the information sheets for a list of the required supporting documents:

Australian Passport Overseas Renewal Application Form (PC7, adults only)

Australian Passport Overseas New Application Form (PC8)

We recommend that you have your photos taken by a photographer showing them the photograph guidelines. Photos taken in photo booth will likely be rejected.

4.  Further information            

Guarantor requirements (PC8 applications only)

Original documents located overseas

Outreach appointments

Passports FAQs

Passport fees

Report a lost or stolen passport

Validity of passports, entry and exit requirements

5.  Book an appointment                         

All adult applications must be lodged in person by appointment only:

For child applications, one parent must lodge the application in person. The lodging parent does not have to be Australian. 

Children aged 16 and 17 years old must attend the interview accompanied by one parent. Children aged 15 years and younger are not required to attend the interview.

6.  After your appointment

Allow up to 3 weeks to receive your new passport after lodgement.

You can keep your current passport while your new one is being processed. Please advise the passports officer at the beginning of your appointment that you would like to retain your passport. 

You can either pick up your passport in Frankfurt or Berlin or it will be sent to you by registered mail. A postage fee applies.
































Ordinary passport (34 pages):

10 - year validity for persons aged 16 and over
5 -  year validity for children under 16 years and optional for persons aged 75 years and over

Replacement Passport (34 pages):

Only available to overseas applicants with full visa pages or minor damages but more than 2 years validity remaining on their current passport. A replacement passport will be issued with the same expiry date as the passport being replaced: €116 (no overseas surcharge)

Emergency Passport (4 pages):

Only Australian citizens can be issued with an Emergency passport in circumstances where either they cannot complete all requirements (other than identity, citizenship and entitlement) for the issue of a full validity passport or they can complete all requirements but there is a need to travel urgently. This travel document will contain only 4 visa pages and the validity will be limited to a period between seven and twelve months, to meet the immediate travel needs of the client. The Emergency Passport would be guaranteed within two working days, once all requirements are fulfilled. A full validity passport may be applied for simultaneously, utilising the same application as for the Emergency Passport.

It is the responsibility of the holder to ensure the travel document is suitable for entry, transit and exit for any ongoing travel including visa requirements.

If you need to travel within the next 48 hours, please contact the Australian Embassy Berlin on +49 30 88 00 88 0 (Option "2" for consular and passports) or the Australian Consulate-General in Frankfurt on +49 69 905580 0 immediately.


Outreach appointments - notarials and passports


Appointments for passport interviews and notarial services - outreach

There are currently no other outreach events scheduled. If you have a general interest in upcoming appointments in the following cities, please email: [email protected] to be added to our mailing list. Please advise of your full name, date of birth, passport number, the service you require and the city you are interested in:

  • Hamburg
  • Hannover/Hanover
  • Köln/Cologne
  • Leipzig
  • München/Munich
  • Stuttgart

As soon as an event is scheduled, you will be sent an email and it will  be advertised on this website. Emails requesting information on potential upcoming dates will not be answered.