Applications by post (PC7 only)
For a renewal, you must be 18 years and over and you will need a passport that:
- was issued when you were aged 16 or older
- was issued on or after 1 January 2006
- had, when it was issued, at least two years’ validity
- has your current name, date of birth, place of birth and gender, and
- has not been reported lost, stolen, or cancelled.
If you don’t meet these criteria, you’ll need to book an appointment to lodge your application in person.
You must provide the following:
- A completed renewal application form, dated within six months of lodgement, checking that:
- Section 5 of the form is signed and dated
- Your signature is kept inside the white box with no alterations or ‘whiteout’ on the signature or the date
- Your application form is valid, make sure your review the expiration date at the top of form
- Your form is printed correctly with no sections missing or cut-off
- Your place of birth is exactly the same as your previous passport
- You have provided your phone number and email address
- Two Australian standard passport photos, less than six months old, with your full name written on the back of one photo
- You can refer to our photo guidelines
- Do not attach the photos to the form, leave them loose in the envelope. Do NOT use staples, paper clips or anything else that may damage your photos.
It is very important that your signature is included on your application in strict accordance with the guidelines.
Your entire signature must be kept inside the white box provided on the form. If it is not, we can't process your form and your application will be delayed.
Your signature must be dated within six months of lodgement and must be in BLACK INK. If it is not, we can't process your form and your application will be delayed.
Do NOT alter your signature or the date. Do NOT use white out on your signature or the date. If there are errors on your application or it was dated more than six months before lodgement, you will need to reprint the form - taking care to sign and date it appropriately.
Payment and processing
Once we have received your completed application, we will send you a payment link by email. Please ensure that your email address is legible on the form and that it is an email address you use regularly.
It will take a minimum of eight to ten weeks to process your passport. Your passport remains valid while the application is being processed and will be cancelled electronically 30 days after we have sent out your new passport.
Incomplete applications cannot be processed and will be returned to you, further delaying the process. If you have travel plans, you may wish to consider lodging the application in person.
When you’ve completed your application, send your application and photos (please do not send your passport) by registered mail to:
Australian Embassy Berlin