Australian Embassy

Student Visas

Student Visa Options

Student Visas (subclasses 570 - 576)

A student visa allows you to study in Australia, including English language courses, school courses, vocational education or university courses.

Detailed information on applying for a student visa is available on the Department’s website.
Study in Australia (DIPB website)
►General information about studying in Australia is available from the Australian Government’s website for international students at:

How to apply? - Electronic or paper application

Electronic application

Some student visa applications can be made electronically through the Department’s website. Outside Australia, Assessment Level 1 students are eligible to apply for a student visa on the internet.

Paper application

You should apply on paper at the Australian Embassy in Berlin if you are:

Student Visa: paper application checklist

If you are not eligible for an electronic student visa, you should send a paper application to the Berlin office. The following will assist your application.

Please provide:

  1. a) Confirmation of Enrolment for Overseas Student, or
    b) Acceptance Advice for Secondary Exchange Student

    a) The Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) means that you have been accepted as a student at an Australian educational institution which is registered with the Department of Education.

    b) The Acceptance Advice for Secondary Exchange Student (AASES) means that you have officially been accepted on an exchange program and given a place at an Australian school. Please sign the declaration on the Acceptance Advice and send it to us. If you are under 18 please ask both your parents to sign. Single parents must provide evidence that they have sole custody.
  2. Application Form 157A, photograph and passport copy

    Please complete, sign and date Form 157A.
    Form 157A - DIBP Website (pdf-format)

    When completing your form, please ensure that you quote your last name and first name exactly as stated in your passport.
    If you hold a Confirmation of Enrolment, you must complete the financial details section starting at question 42. If you are under 18 years old, your parents should complete this question.

    - Please include one recent passport-size photograph of yourself (and of all family members included in the application), and
    - a clear (uncertified) copy of the bio-data page of your valid passport.
  3. Health insurance & Health requirement
    Overseas students undertaking formal studies in Australia must take out OSHC (Overseas Student Health Cover). OSHC is insurance to assist international students meet the costs of medical and hospital care that they may need while in Australia.

    OSHC is usually arranged through the education provider in Australia, and the CoE or AASES form must state that it has been purchased.

    For further information on OSHC, please see:
    Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) (Department of Health – website)

    * Belgian, Norwegian and some Swedish students are not required to purchase OSHC as part of their visa requirements.
    A German or Swiss health or travel insurance is not sufficient.

    Health Requirement
    Please refer to the Health Requirements to see if your country of origin or residence and the nature/ duration of your visit require you to undergo any health clearance formalities.
    Health Requirements - DIBP website

  4. Additional requirements for students under 18
    If you are under 18, both parents must sign form 157A. We also require a copy of your birth certificate and copies of your parents' passports or identity cards. Single parents must provide evidence that they have sole custody (e.g. a copy of the custody ruling).

    Accommodation and welfare arrangements
    If you are under 18, you must have acceptable arrangements for your accommodation, support and general welfare for the duration of your student visa or until you turn 18 (whichever happens first).

    You must show that you will either:
    - live in Australia with your parent or legal custodian; or
    - live in Australia with a relative over 21 years of age who is nominated by your parent or legal custodian; or
    - live in Australia under a welfare arrangement that has been approved by your education provider.

    Welfare provided by your education provider:
    If you will not be accompanied by at least one parent or guardian during your stay in Australia and if you are not intending to stay with an adult relative nominated by your parents/ guardians, you will require a confirmation from your education provider that appropriate arrangements have been made for your accommodation, support and general welfare in Australia. For Secondary School Exchange, this confirmation appears on your Acceptance Advice.

    For all other studies, the education provider must provide a separate Confirmation. This letter is called a Confirmation of Appropriate Accommodation/ Welfare Arrangements (CAAW) letter and if granted, your visa end date will correspond with the welfare dates on the letter.

    If your welfare arrangements are approved by your education provider you cannot travel to Australia until your welfare arrangements commence. Your welfare arrangements commence on the welfare start date that your education provider has nominated on the CAAW.

    Important to note for students under 18 - visa validity:
    Student visas for minors are generally granted in line with the welfare and health insurance (OSHC) period. Whichever of the two has an earlier expiry date will determine the validity period of the student visa.
    Please make sure that travel arrangements both for arrival and departure fall within the period of the welfare and health arrangements.

    Minors planning a holiday beyond their student validity period (for example with their parents joining them in Australia) may wish to look into the option of applying for a subsequent visitor visa.

  5. Visa Application Charge (where applicable)
    Visa Application Charges

    Official Secondary School Exchange students and recipients of certain Australian Government scholarships (such as the International Postgraduate Research Scholarship Scheme and Australian European Awards Program) are not required to pay an application charge. Australian Government scholarship holders must provide evidence of their scholarship to show they are fee-exempt.
  6. Other requirements
    An Immigration Officer will contact you if we need further information from you.
  7. Where do I apply?
    Please mail your application to the Visa Office of the Australian Embassy Berlin.
    Contact Details

Student Guardian visa (subclass 580)

The Student Guardian visa is an option for parents or relatives who are applying to stay in Australia as the guardian of a student who is studying in Australia and holds a student visa.

Student guardian visa - subclass 580 (DIBP website)