Australian Embassy

Notarial Services

Notarial Services

Please be advised that in the May 2016 Federal Budget the Government committed to a significant increase in consular fees. The new fee structure will better align with the commercial rates charged by public notaries.

Notarial fees have not increased since 1 July 2000.  These fees are legislated and individual Embassies, Consulates and High Commissions cannot change the fees charged for notary services.


Notarial services are offered in person and by appointment only at the Australian Embassy Berlin and the Consulate-General in Frankfurt. Please visit smartraveller before booking an appointment to learn about the different types of notarial services we offer and requirements before we can perform them. Please bring your valid passport or ID card and the original documents to the appointment.


A-Z Directory


Book an appointment in Berlin or Frankfurt

Certificate of Non-Impediment to Marriage


Driver's Licence Renewals


Local suppliers

Notarial fees

Outreach appointments in Munich or other cities

Statutory declarations


What are Notarial services?




Officers at the Australian Embassy Berlin and the Consulate-General Frankfurt are able to affix an Apostille on most documents that qualify as Australian public documents. Special rules apply to the authentication of educational documents:

As a fraud reduction strategy, all education documents must be certified by the central Student Administration office of the issuing institution as a 'true and accurate record' before the document can be authenticated by an Australian diplomatic/consular mission. In the event that the relevant institution does not provide this service, the document must be notarised by an Australian Notary Public.
Only after this certification has been received, may the Australian Diplomatic/Consular mission authenticate a tertiary education document. You should ensure that the Student Administration Officer or Australian Notary Public has their signature recorded on the dfat signatures database, before an Australian Diplomatic/Consular mission can authenticate the document.
More information can be found on the smartraveller website.

This service normally takes 48h. The document(s) can either be collected or be sent out by mail. Please bring your valid passport or ID card and the original documents to the appointment.

Australian Driver's Licence Renewals

The Australian Embassy Berlin and Consulate-General Frankfurt can witness signatures and endorse photos for driver's licence renewal forms. We cannot renew the licences. Please contact the relevant road authority in Australia to obtain the necessary form for renewing your licence while residing overseas. For information on registration and licences, and a list of road authorities, please visit:



Clients are advised that the documents relating to notarial services you require from the Australian missions overseas must be presented in the correct form with the correct instructions for witnessing any signatures on the documents. If you are unsure of the legislative requirements relating to witnessing signatures on a particular document, you should seek independent legal advice. Please note, by witnessing a signature on a document neither the Australian Government nor the Australian mission overseas guarantees the legal effectiveness of the document or the accuracy of its contents.



Do you provide notarial services from anywhere else in Germany?

No - unfortunately these services are only available from the Australian Embassy Berlin and the Consulate-General in Frankfurt.

The form says I can use a JP or police officer but I can't find one who is willing to do this in Germany. What can I do? 

Generally the guidance about who can witness or legalise a document is provided with the assumption you are in Australia, where police and JP's are commonly used for these services. This is not the case in Germany or once you are overseas.

I've been told I need to get this done by the Embassy or Consulate, is there someone else I can use?

Some organisations - such as your bank or a Government agency - will stipulate that you must use an Australian Embassy or High Commission if you are overseas.  We would recommend you go back to whoever is requesting you get your documents legalised and ask who they will or won't accept.  Some agencies may accept a local solicitor or notary public to perform these services. For a list of notaries public, please see local suppliers.

I've been asked to get you to verify my ID, what documents do I need to bring into you?

We cannot advise you on what documents you may need to provide. If you have questions about what is required you need to seek clarification from the agency who is requesting that you have this done.

Why does this cost money when I can get it for free in Australia?  

The charges for the overseas provision of these services is set by the Consular Fees Act 1955.


Local suppliers


Often it is not necessary for a consular officer to perform the notarial service requested. We would recommend that you contact the organisation or authority requesting the document and ask for a list of suppliers who may perform the service. Australia and Germany are party to the 1961 Hague Convention Abolishing the Requirement of Legalisation for Foreign Public Documents and often a certified copy of a document or a signature witnessed by a German notary public (with an English stamp) and an apostille affixed to the document by the German authorities is sufficient.

You can find notaries public in Germany here: The search engine allows you to search for notaries public in your area. You can filter your search by location and language. We recommend contacting the notary public in advance to ensure that they have an English stamp for the certification/authentication. 

Contact your local registry office or town hall to enquire about an appointment for an apostille. 

If you are unsure of the legislative requirements relating to witnessing signatures on a particular document, you should seek independent legal advice. The Australian Embassy Berlin and the Consulate-General Frankurt cannot provide legal advice.


Notarial Fees



Administering an oath or receiving a declaration or affirmation



Witnessing a signature or seal on a form or declaration



Verifying and certifying a copy of a document or part of a document



Signing a document, or affixing a seal to a document or other article



Witnessing the execution of a will



Preparation and issue of an Apostille certificate



Preparation and issue of a Certificate of No Impediment to Marriage


Statutory declarations


STATUTORY DECLARATIONS - Please complete the statutory declaration (do not sign) and have it ready for an officer to witness your signature at the Australian Embassy.For a copy of a blank statutory declaration form, please click here.



Australian Embassy Berlin and the Consulate-General Frankfurt do not provide translation services. Please visit (Bund deutscher Übersetzer) or (National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Interpreters) for a list of certified translators and interpreters.


Outreach appointments in Munich or other cities


Appointments for passport interviews and notarial services in Munich other cities - outreach

For general interest in upcoming appointments in Munich, please register by emailing Please note that appointments in Munich are not regularly scheduled. If an outreach event is scheduled, it will be advertised on this website immediately. ***Emails asking for a date for the next outreach event cannot be answered***