Visitor Visa options
If you wish to travel to Australia for:
- holiday, sightseeing, social or recreational reasons, to visit relatives or friends
you may choose one of the visitor visa options listed below.
These visa options are for people who want to visit Australia.
- You must not work while in Australia.
- Studies or training for up to three months are acceptable.
eVisitor (subclass 651)
Electronic visa to visit Australia or for business visitor purposes for up to three months.
- for passport holders from over 30 European countries, including all EU member states, as well as Andorra, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Monaco, Norway, San Marino, Switzerland and Vatican City.
If you hold an eVisitor-eligible passport, you can apply online.
There is no charge for an eVisitor online application.
Who could get this visa (eVisitor-eligible passports) - DIBP website
For an online application, or for further information on the features and requirements of this visa, please see:
eVisitor (subclass 651) – DIBP website
Electronic Travel Authority (ETA – subclass 601)
Electronic visa to visit Australia for business or visitor purposes for up to three months.
Only passport holders of certain countries might be able to get an ETA. If you hold such an ETA-eligible passport, you can apply for your ETA through most travel agents or airlines.
Travel agents usually charge a fee for this service.
Who could get this visa (eligible passports) - DIBP website
Visitor visa (subclass 600)
This visa lets you visit Australia for tourist or business purposes for up to three, six, or 12 months.
Tourist Stream – Visitor visa
The Tourist Stream of the Visitor visa (subclass 600) is for people travelling to Australia for a holiday, recreation or to visit family and friends and for other purposes not related to business or medical treatment.
Only certain passport holders can apply for the subclass 600 visa online. For the list of countries and the online application, please see:
Visitor e600 online applications – DIBP website
If you are unable or ineligible to apply for electronic visitor visas, you should send a paper application to the Berlin office. The following will assist your application.
Tourist Stream - Visitor visa: paper application checklist
- Completed form 1419 Download Form 1419 - DIBP Website (pdf)
Please ensure that you quote your last name and first name exactly as stated in your passport. Do not use pencil. Make sure that you answer all questions and that you correctly complete the credit card authorisation form.
Application charge. The charge must be paid per person except for children who are included in a parent’s passport. It is a processing charge and cannot be refunded irrespective of the outcome of your application.
Visa Application Charges
A clear (uncertified) copy of the biodata page of your valid passport.
A case officer may ask you for your original passport during the processing of your application.
- If you are not a citizen of the country where you live, a copy (uncertified) of your most up-to-date residence permit for that country.
- One recent passport photograph of yourself (and all family members included in the application)
- Evidence of sufficient funds to cover your proposed visit to Australia (for example, recent bank statement)
- Evidence of incentive to return to your country of usual residence (for example, evidence of employment/ proof that you are a student, or close family ties)
- A list of the names and addresses of your nearest relatives (not only those resident in Australia): parents, (independent) children, brothers and sisters
- If visiting close family in Australia (who is a citizen or permanent resident of Australia), a letter of invitation to visit.
Please refer to the Health Requirement to see if your country of origin or residence and the nature/ duration of your visit require you to undergo any health clearance formalities.
Health Requirements - DIBP Website
If you are aged 75 years or older
Please provide proof of medical insurance for the period of your stay in Australia. You should also go to one of our panel physicians for a medical examination.
Immigration Panel Physicians – DIBP Website
An Immigration Officer will contact you if we need further information from you.
Where do I apply?
Please mail your application to the Visa Office of the Australian Embassy Berlin.
Business Visitor Stream – Visitor visa
The Business Visitor Stream of the Visitor visa (subclass 600) is for business people to make a short business visit to Australia for up to three months.
Business activities may include a conference, negotiation or exploratory business visits. Business activities do not include acting, musical performances or commercial film making.
For further information and how to apply for the Business Visitor Stream, please see:
Business Visitor visa options