Australian Embassy

Accompanying a NewZealand Citizen


Accompanying a New Zealand Citizen

Under the bilateral social security arrangements between the Australian and New Zealand governments, some New Zealand citizens are required to obtain Australian permanent residence if they wish to access certain social security payments (subject to the two-year eligibility waiting period for most payments), obtain Australian citizenship or sponsor their family members for permanent residence.

See: Social Security Arrangements and Permanent Residence - DIBP Website


The changes introduced on 26 February 2001 do not affect New Zealand citizens who:

 were in Australia on 26 February 2001 as Special Category Visa (SCV)
 were outside Australia on 26 February 2001, but were in Australia as an SCV
   holder for a total of twelve months in the two years prior to that date, and
   subsequently returned to Australia, or
 have a certificate, issued under the Social Security Act 1991, stating that they
   were residing in Australia on a particular date. These certificates are no
   longer issued.

New Zealand citizens who fall under the above exceptions can sponsor their family members for Migration.

Family members of New Zealand citizens who do not fall under the above exceptions can apply for a temporary New Zealand Citizen Family Member visa, which is valid for five years, with full work rights.

: Migrating as a Partner / Migrating as a Fiance(e)

If you wish to accompany a New Zealand citizen to Australia as a family member you will have to apply for a New Zealand Citizen Family Member visa.

Family members of a New Zealand citizen include:

 Spouse - the husband, wife or de facto partner of the New Zealand citizen and
   their dependants, including children
 Dependent child - the dependent child of a New Zealand citizen.


How to apply for a New Zealand Citizen Family Member visa

 1. Obtain the forms

Please complete, sign and date Form 147. 

 Download Form 147 - DIBP Website (PDF)

When completing your form, please ensure that you quote your last name and first name exactly as stated in your PASSPORT and do not use a pencil. Please attach to your application one recent passport photograph of yourself.


 2. Visa Application Charge

The Visa Application Charge is levied per application. This is a processing charge and cannot be refunded irrespective of the outcome of the application. 

See: Visa Application Charges


 3. Documents to be included with your application

The information below has been specifically prepared for clients applying in Berlin so that we can process your application as quickly as possible. Please note, however, that our office may ask you to send additional documents or attend an interview during the course of processing your application. 

Documents required for a New Zealand citizen family member visa

Original documents or certified copies of documents in languages other than English must be accompanied by an English translation.  

The English translations must be appropriately endorsed translations. In Australia, translators must be accredited by the National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Interpreters. Their accreditation details must be recorded on the translation. Translations provided by non-accredited translators outside Australia should be endorsed by the translator with their full name, address, telephone number, and details of their qualifications and experience in the language being translated.

LIST ONE - These documents you should send as originals.

 Form 147, and form 886 (Settlement Details) completed and signed by you.
   See: Download Form 147 - DIBP Website (PDF) 

 Police clearance certificates from your country of usual residence, and any other country where you have lived for more than a total of twelve months during the last ten-year period. 
   SeeCharacter Requirements Penal Clearance Certificates - DIBP Website (PDF) 

 One passport photograph of each applicant.

 For fiancé(e) applications, a registration certificate from your local authority showing your marital status.

 Payment of the temporary residence application fee.

 The Relationship Pro-Forma, if you are the de facto spouse of a New Zealand citizen, or have been married for less than one year.
   See: Download the Relationship Pro-Forma 


LIST TWO - These documents you should send as certified copies. You can obtain certified copies from anyone in your country who is empowered to do so.

: Certified Copies

 Your own birth certificate or extract of the population register.

 If children are included in your application, their birth certificates or extract of the population register.

 If your children are from a previous relationship, you need to include a statutory declaration signed by the other natural parent of the children in the presence of a notary public consenting to the child(ren)'s temporary residence in Australia.

 Evidence of your sponsor's New Zealand citizenship. (This could be a copy of their New Zealand passport.)

 Your marriage certificate, if applicable

 Divorce decrees and evidence of custody arrangements, if applicable

 Military discharge certificates, if applicable. (All applicants who served in any Armed Forces within the last ten years should provide one of these certificates.)


LIST THREE - These documents you should send as photocopies.
This list refers to evidence of your relationship. Please note, you are only required to submit these documents if you need to complete a Relationship Pro-Forma. 

 Download the Relationship Pro-Forma (PDF)

 A sample of photographs showing you and your sponsor together at various occasions. Please do not send us more than ten.

 Evidence of co-habitation. (For example, a joint rental agreement, joint local authority registration under the same address, utility bills appearing in joint names, etc.)

 Evidence of contact during times of separation. (For example, itemised telephone bills, printouts of your E-Mail inbox folder, envelopes which contained your personal correspondence, etc.)

 Evidence of joint travel and social activities. (For example, club memberships at the same club, boarding passes showing joint travel, joint invitations to celebrations, etc.)

Please do not send the following items as part of your application:

 Phonecards, Videos, Photo Albums, personal E-Mail messages

 You may be required to provide extra evidence to document your relationship,
   but please do not do so unless we write to you specifically asking for more

 Please do not place your application in a folder, use plastic pockets for storage
   of your documents or staple documents together as this slows the processing of
   your application


 4. Medical examination(s) with one of our panel physicians will be requested as the assessment of your application progresses.

 See: Health requirements - DIBP Website


 5. Passport copy 

Your passport should not be enclosed with your visa application. A good copy of the biodata page of your valid passport should be enclosed with the visa application.

We shall ask for your original passport once we are ready to issue your migration visa.



 6. Embassy Address

Please mail your application or deliver personally to the following address:
(Visa Counter Opening Hours: Monday, Wednesday, Friday 9.00 - 11.00 hrs):


Australian Embassy
Visa Office
Wallstrasse 76-79
D-10179 Berlin

 7. Important Information

We recommend that you do not make travel commitments until after the visa has been approved. Visa applications are processed as fast as possible and in the order of receipt. Processing times may vary and you should allow for this when making your travel plans.

See: Target Processing Times

We are not liable for any financial loss incurred by applicants whose applications are late or unsuccessful. You can do the following to help us process your case quickly:

 ensure that your application is complete; 
 limit the contact with your case officer to urgent matters.

Under the terms of the Australian Privacy Act, we cannot provide information about applications in progress to third parties.


Return to previous page